September 10, 2011

Re-writable Menu Board Tutorial

I saw a tutorial online to make a re-writable menu board and it inspired me to take the same idea but use it as a way to keep track of where the local Farmer's Markets were open on each day. Living in Seattle, we have them in different neighborhoods all throughout the week. I can never keep track and sometimes finding even 5 minutes to get online and look it up isn't worth the effort with a wiggly baby. So now I can keep my favorites listed right on this board and know in advance, maybe even plan my day the day before!

First, I found a frame I wasn't using. Since I wasn't mad about the color, I painted it! I started with green but changed it to maroon. I am sure there are better paint types out there, but I used what I had. For a $1 frame, it doesn't really matter.





I found some pretty scrapbook paper for the background, this was a woodland pack I had on hand. I used the glass from the frame as a template to cut to size.
I printed the days of the week with the header "Farmer's Market" or you could type "Weekly Menu" or even "Weekly Chores". You can find funky fonts here. They are free and super cute. Who doesn't like free! If you need help figuring out how to install them onto your computer, leave a comment. Whatever you need to keep you organized! I used funky edged scissors to cut the days of the week paper.

Now you just write in whatever you want on the outside glass with dry erase markers. I just have one neighborhood written in so far, it's the only one I can remember. And I am not even 100% sure... Good thing it's erasable ink! If you are using yours as a menu board, write in what dinners you are going to have each day. I have bigger ideas for a menu board that involve painting an entire wall in my kitchen with chalkboard paint, after we remodel it but I don't know if I can wait that long!

2 comments: