September 10, 2011

Felted Gnome Family

I love the look of felted creatures! I couldn't stop thinking about trying it so I headed to Joanne's and bought some wool roving, which is just loose wool before it's spun into yarn. There are better places to buy wool online with loads of beautiful colors, but I just wanted a few packs right away that I could experiment with. I watched some tutorials on YouTube (you can learn anything on YouTube!) and got started. It is really easy. All you do is stab stab stab the wool with a barbed needle on a foam block until you get the shape you want. You can stab pieces together if you want to attach them. Pardon my uneducated terminology, I am a newb with needle felting.You can also use the wool to punch designs into other things- like purses, hats, bags, anything really. Here is a pic of loose wool with the barbed needles and foam block.


I got home and here is what I came up with! I love gnomes so the idea of making a gnome family was an obvious choice for me.  


The gnome family is resting on a felt pad that I hand stitched some embroidery floss around the edge for some interest. Then I felted a little pond and some stepping stones onto the felt pad. I also felted a mushroom table and used brown felt to cut and shape into little coffee cups. This only took me an hour! I would love a huge stock pile of fun colors so I can start felting some more fun creatures. Care for a cuppa??

No comments:

Post a Comment